Materials and Texturing
Base materials use a standard material function that unifies functionality and parameter names across all materials. This gives us a lot of functionality that is shared and ensures textures and material properties are interchangeable.
Base materials are located in Game/PrimalEarth/CoreMaterials/MasterMaterials/
There are MIC presets for common material use cases in the MIC folder.
As much as possible, new materials should be a child of an existing MIC preset.
The standard texture format is expected by the base materials.
Textures should be set to the proper LOD group.
Characters and creatures:
- Base Color textures set to "Character"
- Normal Maps to "CharacterNormalMap"
- Layered material textures to "CharacterSpecular"
- Colorization masks should also be set to "CharacterSpecular"
- Base Color set to the "Weapon"
- Normal Maps to "WeaponNormalMap"
- Layered material textures to "WeaponSpecular"
- Colorization masks should also be set to "WeaponSpecular"
Structures, foliage, and other static objects:
- Base Color set to the "World"
- Normal Maps to "WorldNormalMap"
- Layered material textures to "WorldSpecular"
- Colorization masks should also be set to "WorldSpecular"
4K textures must be set to the "Cinematic" LOD group, or they will not render above 2048 x 2048. Be aware that 4K textures take up a LOT of GPU memory and should only be used sparingly on assets where 2Ks are visibly worse in quality (i.e. on large dinos).
Location of LOD group setting.